Cold-Oven Cream Cheese Pound Cake

We were cutting a melon for our snack last evening, while craving for a good slice of cake instead and we got around reminiscing about those days when we wouldn't give a damn about what we ate. We were in Hyderabad for a year after we got married, it was a new place with not many friends. Once Manoj left for work my brand new oven was the best company I had on most days. I baked cakes or muffins every other day and while I loved sharing my bakes with my new neighbors, there were those rare occasions when I would finish an entire cake all by myself and then I would bake one more before Manoj got home. We always had cake at home and we never gave a thought to all the sugar, flour and butter we were having daily.

Ofcourse now its all I can think about as the side effects are a little too clearly visible around our waistlines. 
I eagerly wait for an opportunity to bake now, friends coming over or a party at Anushka's school or at work. I had baked this particular cake for a snack party at Anushka's school a while back and it was heavenly. The cream cheese imparts an amazing velvety texture to the cake and a little tanginess that's just perfect.
It's from one of my favorite books, Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman. I googled the recipe before I tried it and it was a good thing too because I found a lot of  reviews that suggested reducing the sugar. I reduced it considerably and it was still sweet, but just the right amount.
I divided the cake batter among two loaf pans and there was not enough and thats the reason it baked flat. Its best to use a bundt pan, it rises beautifully and looks great.

Cold - Oven Cream Cheese Pound Cake

3 cups cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar (original recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups)
6 eggs (room temperature)
1 tbs pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 tbs grated fresh ginger
1 tbs grated lemon zest

Adjust the oven rack to the lower-middle position. Grease a 12-cup bundt pan and dust with flour. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
Combine the butter, cream cheese and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat in the vanilla, ginger and lemon zest.
Turn the mixer to low speed and add the flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. After the last addition, mix for 30 seconds on medium speed.
Place the cake in a cold oven. Turn the oven to 325F and bake, without opening the door, until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 65-80 minutes.
Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes, then invert it onto rack. Cool completely before slicing and serving.
Store uneaten cake in a cake keeper, or wrapped in plastic at room temperature for upto 3 days.

I divided the cake batter among two loaf pans and there was not enough and thats the reason it baked flat. Its best to use a bundt pan, it rises beautifully and looks great or use smaller loaf pans.


  1. The loaf looks gorgeous and the shots are lovely!

  2. Love the tangy cream cheese in it, bookmarked.

  3. Omg, such a spongy and fabulous cake, cant resist.

  4. Hey ...thanks for stopping by my space..u have got a great space there... happily following u :)

  5. A delicious looking cake! Perfect when served with berry compote and whipped cream.



  6. Mmm... so comforting! Would love it layered as trifle, with berries and cream :)

  7. Hey, I cant believe I was not following you, glad to do it now :)

    The cake looks heavenly, I have never baked with cream cheese before and this is one recipe bookmarked already now :)

  8. Hi Poornima, I bet your neck deep in packing or have u already reached Mumbai? :-) I loved this cake recipe and it looks so smooth and soft. I have a whole 8oz slab of cream cheese in my fridge, would love to try it. You should try a similar chocolate cake with cream cheese, turns out so soft and moist and chocolaty yumm. :-)

  9. Hello,

    Visit to Pin, Organize and Share Recipes You Like.

    Happy Pinning!!!


  10. A good pound cake is such a staple! Add a little whipped cream and a few fresh berries and you've got the perfect crowd-pleaser!

  11. Never tried baking cake with cream cheese...luv all ur cakes..Happy shifting poornima.

  12. Hello,

    We love your recipes, they are so yummy. Would be delighted if you can share your recipes with us at A Community for food bloggers and food lovers. Simply register your food blog with us and start pinning your recipes directly from your blog. No need to crop or edit your images and your recipes will be published immediately without any editorial review. With you can not only pin your recipes, but you can repin, like others recipes and can create food category boards.
    So why to wait, Join and start Pinning your amazing recipes.

    Happy Pinning!!!

    iPinRecipes Team

  13. I haven't used cream cheese while baking cakes... May be i should try doing that.. it really loooks yummy :)


Thank you for visiting Tasty Treats...
Do leave your comments and feedback. I would love to hear from you...