ICC September : Murukku

Murukku is one of our favorite snacks and it's so addictive. I was so glad when it was chosen for Indian Cooking Challenge this month, a great excuse to make some. This was a great recipe, very similar to what I usually make.
I'm a day late in posting this, totally skipped my mind. So sorry for that...do try this recipe....

4 cups raw rice
1 cup urad dal
approx 1/2 cup water or more

For the seasoning:
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida/ hing
salt to taste
75 gms butter

Wash and drain the rice. Dry for 1/4 hour. Dry roast the urad dal till golden and allow to cool.
Grind the rice to a fine powder. Then grind the urad dal to a fine powder.
Mix together both the flours, salt, sesame seeds, cumin seeds and hing.
Add the butter and rub it in till it forms into a crumbled mixture.
Add water and form into a firm dough.
Heat oil to deep fry. Shape the murukku using the murukku maker on pieces of paper and deep fry on medium heat till light brown, turning a couple of times to ensure even browning on both sides.
Drain on paper towels and store in air tight containers for upto a week.


  1. Wow! So good, how well shaped too!

  2. murukku adipoli aayirikkunnu!I love this one...

  3. Soooooper murukku,just like store bought...

  4. What a beautiful design. They look perfect.

  5. an absolute favorite. looks so delicious.

  6. Perfect murrukus Poornima :)

  7. Perfect murukkus Poornima :)

  8. Murukku adipoli ayitundalloo Looks perfect and crispy...

  9. crispy yummy...check this link http://easy2cookrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/08/200-th-post-and-award-celebration-with.html...do participate in it

  10. Wow, it looks perfect and so professional. Wish i could have one.

  11. What an amazing looking treat! Too bad I don't have this murukku maker :(

  12. OMG Poornima, u r become a pro :)
    Look at that snap. Perfect murkkus.Looks like those mom makes. Adipoli mole!
    And same pinch...........murkkus are one of my fav snack too.
    When I was in 5th grade,during the Diwali hols, I remember eating scant 30 murkus in one shot and had to be rushed to the hospital with a horrible tummy pain. But, one would think. that after that incident, I would never eat murkkus again. But NO,I still do :)

  13. Looks so good, will be perfect with chai. Great job, dear.

  14. Wow, So perfectly round, looks delicious!!

  15. Heyy collect your award dear.its waiting in my blog 4 U.

  16. These look nice and cruncy. murukka are my favorite fried snack... i just can't resist it.

  17. Poornima....i love these murukku...tried once, but couldnt make this shape...so made a big one in kadai and crushed it... :) this looks awesome... :)

  18. When I was in the US over the summer, I looked in many places for a muruku press to trying making some but alas, I had no such luck. :( I desperately want to try making this.

  19. Dear Poornima,
    first visit n my reached my fav murukku.awesome!so tempting!i still do have murukku at home now;but not homemade!the best snacks to preapre in winter with cup of hot tea.
    thanks a lot!
    happy cooking!DIWALI is coming up!


Thank you for visiting Tasty Treats...
Do leave your comments and feedback. I would love to hear from you...